Old October 2nd, 2014, 11:25 AM   #184
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Hey Misti!
Yep, I've got a few of those! I always pick my crashed apart, knowing it's my fault first before blaming the bike in anyway. I think humbling ourselves rather than immediately blaming the bike or the track or another rider is the best way to learn.
My first track crash was at Little Talledega. I looked TOO far too early through a decreasing radius corner and missed a turning point. I ended up wide and on the gator strips at too high of a speed for my lean angle, and the suspension bottomed out. That one hurt a bit. Since then I was always more careful to get my bike pointed in the direction it needed to be before shifting my gaze to the next turning point.

At Road Atlanta I learned, even if there's a wall coming at you really fast while you're in the grass running off the track, even the smallest amount of front brake at high speed isn't a smart move. I remembered that the next time I rolled off track (hey, that was at Jennings with Alex and Chris!), and I made it unscathed, keeping the rubber side down.
I'm glad you take the initiative to pick your crashes apart and figure out what went wrong!

You make a good point when you say that you looked "too far, too early." This is actually a common mistake and I think it stems from the concept of "look through the turn." I hear people say that all the time and while it is important to "look through the turn." I think it is equally important to mention that you need to look through the turn in stages in order to ensure that you make it to the points that you are aiming for. If you try to look foo far too soon then you can miss your turn in point or you can get lost in the middle of the turn.

What do you think is a better plan of action? Or how do you look through the turn in a way that doesn't leave you missing turn points or getting lost mid corner?
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote