View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #196
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
"Looking as far as possible had always worked for me on the streets, even in tight mountain corners. On an open track with no obstructions, you can often look 2-3 curves ahead, and though keeping your wide-scope vision in check..."Seeing" as far as possible doesn't mean to literally point your nose in the direction and "look" as far as possible. I like how you worded it, do it in stages.
That was my most painful track lesson, that here IS a limit to "look ahead as far as possible".
After making the mistake, I'm able to pick better apex turn in points and stagger my gaze as I move. I look at a spot until I know my bike is pointed there and going in that direction before I look ahead to the next turn-in point.
Love the last paragraph. You pick apex points and stagger you gaze as you move. You look at a spot until you KNOW YOUR BIKE IS POINTED THERE and going in that direction before you look to the next point. Perfect.

That is how we teach it at the school and sometimes it may feel a bit choppy at first like you are connecting the dots but as you get more comfortable with your points and with moving your gaze smoothly from point to point it will begin to feel less choppy and more fluid and smooth. This way you don't risk getting lost mid corner or trying to look too far through the turn. You look to where you want to go and when you know you will get there you look further ahead.

This is different from maintaining a wide view which is also very helpful. How is widening your vision in addition to looking at your reference points useful?

Misti is offline   Reply With Quote