View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2016, 04:06 PM   #37
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post
You have a dyno jet kit in that bike. The multi clip position is the give away. So it looks like someone had them apart in the past to fit it. Wouldn't be the first time some idiot messed things up !

Regarding the fuel line, the piece of paper you found is not paper but a very fine gauze filter that should be in the fuel line just before the elbow into the carbs. This is the secondary filter that you were trying to add, the factory already did it for you !

Bikes that faile to Rev, but otherwise work OK are usually not getting enough fuel or air, or alternatively are getting to much, such that the AFR is NOT combustible. Looking at your pictures I'll take a punt & say not enough fuel due to some monkey screwing with your carbs.

I often question people when they say they did something, like adjust valves but then say well they think they did them right. You either know what you are doing & DID them right or you screwed it up. Don't take this the wrong way, but there is no "I think" to it !

If it ran OK with the crappy carb setup before you did stuff, then it's likely what you did that caused the fault !
hahaha. Thanks man- I appreciate you being real.
Nah the valves are fine. Like I said I did them right, the "think" part was me being humble. I followed the specs to the T and even torqued to proper specs.

GOOD NEWS!
I got the carb back on, and the bike runs A LOT BETTER. There is a hurricane blowing through, so no test drive yet. In fact, it's not even back together, just tossed the tank on because I've still got a lot of work to do.
I did the airbox mod (cut off the battery try)- and I was trying to put it all back together and am having a bitch of a time trying to get the carbs back on. It is taking SOOOOO much longer than taking them off did. I tried putting them on the intake runners first- securing them then trying to fit the airbox to the carb. NO DICE. Couldn't get them to line up right after trying for like half an hour. Took it back apart and attached to the airbox. Then I had trouble getting the carbs/airbox onto the intake runners. Eventually I got them on, only to find the airbox loose. I had pushed the boots partially out of the airbox.
So- Ive got to go back in and fix that- but that's not too big a deal. I'll get it done tomorrow before I take her out. I cranked it up- took FOREVER. Almost killed my new battery cranking. I even hooked up fuel and sucked on the vacuum hose to the petcock to try and prime the bowls. Cranked and cranked and cranked, finally it fired up after I stuffed paper towels in the air intake holes (I hadn't hooked up the throttle cables/choke yet).
MAN! What a difference. I guess the bike NEVER ran right. Remember, this is my first motorcycle. I've ridden a scooter for a year- and that thing was where I learned a lot of my bike engine skills. It would literally only run about 2/3 of the time. I carried enough tools under the seat to completely remove the motor at any time. I have dome belts, valve jobs, carb cleanings etc ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD just to get home lol.
Anyway- once she fired up, it was apparent that I had a ninja 125 before. I have a 250 now. Is it perfect? No idea, prolly not. I have much work to go- but man- what a difference. It winds up like a 2 stroke... like a bike should wind up now. I had thought previously that it took a loooong time to wind up even with no load... like as fast as a full size car. Always thought bikes wound up a lot faster. Well, it winds up FAST now. So it's a HUGE improvement. Thank you guys so much for the help and feedback. I'll be sure to let you know of the outcome once I get it all back together and take her out. Also, the c-clips are in the mail and will go in once I get them in a few days. I don't expect I'll do more than a test drive until I get that in... don't want to ride around with a wire holding my needle.

@Mohawk- thanks for the info on the dynajet kit needle. That will help immensely when I try to tune it. I assume then that I can find a "baseline" kind of setting to start with and follow the wiki from there. I have even put an ad on craigslist to trade my 2 brothers straight pipe exhaust for a stock Kawasaki. It's just too loud. I can't sneak out of the house when my girl can hear me from 3 blocks away. ;-) Going back to stock parts will make tuning a WHOLE lot easier.
Anyway- I'll keep you guys in the loop. Thanks again for all the help!
-Andrew
sickopsycho is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.