adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KikRox View Post
I dont have all the answers i'm not motorcycle ghandi or bias toward riding safe or riding like a psycho. both are equally good. being a psycho some days is exactly whats needed but only when its within our skill level and the road conditions allow. sometimes not being an idiot has really been a good thing too. all in all i'd have to say i've grown a sixth sense to an impending doom.
Good luck with that. Check back in in 20 or 30 years after life has beaten you up a bit.

Yeah, I'm sure I sound like your dad. I'm probably old enough to BE your dad. Maybe your granddad.

I'm 58. I've been riding for 30-odd years. In all that time I've laid a bike down exactly once, at about 15 mph, right after I got my license. 1987.

Today I ride half a dozen or more track days a year and move along at a pretty good clip. Not the fastest by far, but for sure not the slowest either.

Yeah, I ride fast on the street too (and have the tickets to show for it...). But I'm fully intact and have remained that way for decades.

Why? What's kept the rubber side down for so long?

My $0.02:

Riding safe and riding slow are not the same thing.

Going "psycho" on a bike is never a good idea IMHO, whether or not you feel it's within your skill envelope. Why? Because of EXACTLY what you encountered... the unexpected that by definition you cannot anticipate.

I know a guy who talks the same way you do. He's faster and more skilled on the track than I am. He's young, indestructible, and likes to push it. A year ago he was having one of those "psycho" rides... got air on his street bike and lost it. Slid into a road sign. Compound fracture of his femur. He almost bled out.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.