View Single Post
Old June 18th, 2018, 07:18 PM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Dedicate the Ninjette to track. A small bike will teach you A LOT about being a better rider. A big bike will mask mistakes. The instructors at my local track organization kick my butt on little bikes any time they want.

Small bikes are also a lot cheaper to run. Less expensive tires, mostly.

If you do find a really sweet, built up larger track bike for a great price, don't hesitate to buy it. Sort out the sale of our existing bike later. I pretty much STOLE my R6 with full Ohlins, less than 9000 miles, titanium exhaust, etc. etc. I could have parted it out and made money... that kind of deal. Don't let a shiny tempting bike lure you into spending money that you don't need to. I'm talking about coming across a great deal and jumping on it.

If you do buy a dedicated track bike, look at what people ride and go that way. Popular bikes are popular for a reason (e.g. SV650, R6) Spares forever, lots of knowledge, good aftermarket. If it's weird, good luck keeping it running for a long time.

But until you do find a suitable race steed, track that Ninjette. Pick up some used race bodywork and source the proper mods (clip ons, rearsets, etc.) Get decent stuff (Woodcraft), don't cheap out on eBay chinese crap.

Make smart investments in the amenities you need to make the track pleasant. Riding is just part of the day. You're also hanging out, eating and sleeping. Might as well enjoy the experience.

BUY GOOD GEAR. Just spend the money, already.

While it's not hard to get your Ninjette ready for the track, ff you do find a prepped Ninjette it can simplify matters and may be worth the sale of your existing bike just to save the hassle. Do your homework and see what it'd cost to prep your own bike. That'll give you the info you need to evaluate a purchase.

Do not be put off by no title or a bike that's been lowsided. My R6 is untitled due to a quirk of Connecticut law... the bike originally came from out of state and has been a track bike since new. To title it here, it has to be street-legal, and it will never be. So no title. Yeah, it's been down and has some scratches, but it's straight and rides beautifully.

Bang for the buck investments for track days (assuming you've got gear and basic bike prep covered):

1) More track time
2) Instruction
3) More track time
4) Suspension
5) More track time
6) Tires
7) More track time
8) Brakes
9) More track time
87) Power mods
132) A bigger bike

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.