View Single Post
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #26
phEight
ninjette.org newbie

Name: phEight

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250 - White/Black

Truth about not being ready for the street just yet. The white one called to me too, and I found a use one but I still payed 4k for it (all the dealers were asking 5k otd in texas, and that was just too much since I wanted $ left over for gear (which costs me almost $800 itself.. bought 2 snell approved helmets (one for my girl) and some gloves for her as well)).

Take it easy when you get the bike. Get it delivered to your house if you can, it won't cost much. The dealer I bought it from said they'd just charge for gas. I dropped my bike when I thought I was ready for the street and wasn't. Was taking a left a turn, I wasn't smooth with the clutch yet as it was my first day on the new bike... and because of my lack of smoothness, the power came on a bit jerky right when I was went over a patch of oil that I could hardly noticed... instantly the bike fish tailed and I had no experience whatsoever to control that... I went down within seconds after that slide... shoulder felt banged up a bit.. but most damage was psychological. I was so distraught after dropping it. Luckily my gf was there (she said she was shaking cause she saw it all go down in front of her eyes, she was following me in her car).

I couldn't believe I had dropped my 1800 mile (basically brand new) 2011 white ninja 250... the bike that, like you said, called to me. It's got some battle scars now. She's still beautiful, but man, did I wish I had the bike delivered.

I'll be honest and say I'm glad I dropped it in the environment and style that I did, it was a very in your face learning experience, and I'm no longer as tense and afraid of falling on the bike (I'm sure that could have came with taking it easy in the parking lot for the first week I had my bike instead of that coming from a wreck).

I'm just letting you know because the feeling of having the bike wreck, when you just get it, is very burdensome on the mind (at least for the couple hours after the wreck). After I figured out the bike was fine and these 2 really kind guys took my bike to my apartment on their truck (they just asked I fill up gas in the truck... which to me was beyond generous). I was excited again to sit on it and felt so much looser and relaxed in the apartment parking lot.

The ninja 250, though tame, is a completely different beast compared to the other 250's they have on the range at the MSF course. The high compression engine has a real big difference in how it feels.

Welcome to the world of motorcycles. I got my bike a little over a month ago, and recently have taken it on the freeways and gone about 70 mph. Still getting used to that.. but I'm a million times better than I was the first week I had my bike. During that first week, when I thought i was going 50 mph, I was only going 30, lol. Now I look down at the speedo and sometimes need to slow down cause I'm like **** I'm going 55-60 in a 45!

Please don't take it on the street, no matter how comfortable you felt during MSF (I was so stoked after the MSF course...) for the first week or so. You'll have a blast in the parking lot anyway. And you'll know when your ready for the streets. Be vigilant, attentive, and proactive. Don't trust any cagers, but don't be afraid of them either. Pick up some books on riding from amazon.com, you'll learn so many good things. I personally got both:

http://www.amazon.com/Total-Control-...0390294&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Riding-T...0390325&sr=1-1

Well worth the money, and the latter link has an urban riding section that is extremely useful. Both offer excellent advice, but if you had to pick up one, I would probably choose the latter for street riding purposes. Both books have great pictures, glossy colorful pages and are very enjoyable to read. Every time I read either, I learn something new after having had some time on the road.

Sorry for the long post... you just reminded me of me so much (including the stalling and having trouble with the clutch, and WANTING the white one no matter what anyone says, lol), I had to share my story. I've been wanting to but never got the chance.

Good luck!
phEight is offline   Reply With Quote