Thread: 1st track day
View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #28
pjed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100, 2006 Yamaha R1, 2006 Kawasaki ZZR600, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2017 Kawasaki Z900

Did another track day on Monday and got a lot of seat time on the 250. Main reason for that is that my brand new, 8 cell lithium ion battery totally fried in the ZX6RR. Right on the first lap, the throttle felt twitchy. By the fourth lap, the battery went on/off a couple times then everything shut off. The manufacturer said it could have "over-volted" due to a faulty regulator but I've never had any issue till I got this battery. Anyway, they're sending a replacement free of charge.

Got more comfortable on the 250. I started to get on the throttle a lot sooner and dropped 2 seconds off my lap time. Actually, the shock on the bike this time felt fine, it was a little unsettled on bumpy parts of the track, it was the front that I think needs focus. There are a couple double apex corners where you're dragging knee for a while and there were a few times I had to left off the throttle because the front felt like it was pushing. Wonder if this could be due to insufficient rebound. The front comes up pretty slow when you bounce it. Definitely didn't inspire confidence.

I'm running completely stock forks with the preload adjusters showing about 2.5 lines. I was going to set the sag at the track with the shop that runs the events but was told the typical 35-40mm may not work. Since these forks are smaller and may have less travel, the normal 30%-35% could be a different number. I need to go to school on the forks…anyone confirm the ideal sag number? Is the stock spring sufficient for a 200 lbs (with gear) rider? Any other tips (changing the fork oil, etc…) to get more out of the stock forks? I've got an extra set of gold RR forks laying around but unfortunately, they won't fit.
pjed is offline   Reply With Quote