View Single Post
Old August 27th, 2016, 08:19 PM   #6
Burphel
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Bonneville, Ninja 300

Project Day 3: Aug 27th

Limited working time today. I lost my storage keys somehow. I've been meaning to buy a cordless drill though (for swiss-cheesing parts and grinding off tabs, along with assorted screwing/unscrewing). So I stopped by Home Depot and picked one up, along with a cutoff wheel and a combination lock so I can't do that again. Grinding through a hardened steel lock isn't the most efficient way to open one, but it is a great way to work out aggression.
  • Realized I didn't really need actual spools to use the rearstand. Stuck in a pair of bare bolts from the Bin of Suck and popped it up. Must remember to get actual spools before taking the bike to the track.
  • Tail plastics, taillight, back seat and lock removed.
  • Clutch side switchgear removed.
  • Clutch sensor jumpered.
  • Kickstand removed.
  • Kickstand sensor jumpered.
  • Feel like I'm forgetting something.
  • Pulled a few choice parts from the Bin of Suck to start putting on eBay.
Earlier this week:
  • Parts came in to fix the fork seal (got bushings as well, just in case).
  • Forgot to get a length of 1.5" ID PVC for a seal hammer today. Dangit.
  • Found out the Ohlins cartridges I was going to order are on backorder. I should have expected that, but it seriously pisses me off when online stores say something is in stock and it isn't. Why bother having inventory management built into your store if it's wrong? *grr* I also had brake pads and a Pitbull Head stand ordered from the same place. $1000 order. Cancelled the whole thing. I'll spend my money elsewhere.
  • Found a local racer willing to sell a slightly rashed Hot Bodies fairing set for $100.
  • Bid on a Supertrapp universal muffler on eBay for $50. I've always wanted to try one of these, and I just want something other than the stocker to keep tech happy until I can afford a full system and remap.

Got a couple more days off. Coming up soon:
  • Run to the nearest Cycle Gear, pick up fork lift stand, fork oil, smaller coolant reservoir, rivet master link, actual spools, safety wire and pliers.
  • Coolant flush and replace with Water Wetter.
  • Measure coolant drain bolts, rear caliper bolts and order pre-drilled from ProBolt (they have the front and oil bolts listed for the 300, but not these).
  • Fork seal change/full fork rebuild if necessary. Gonna go with straight 15w overfilled a bit and try adding some fender washers or something for extra preload until I can get springs/cartridges/emulators ordered.
  • Going to try to find a local auto shop that's willing to do a cat delete if I promise to forget who did it for me and not run it on the street.
  • Start putting street parts on eBay.
  • Bring a blanket with me to storage and lay out the street fairing bits for an eBay picture.