View Single Post
Old September 9th, 2016, 06:43 PM   #21
Burphel
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Bonneville, Ninja 300

Day 5: Sept 9th

Another good day of work in. I forgot to take pictures until after I'd packed the bike and tools in, though.

*Changed oil to Rotella T6.
*Drilled and wired drain plug.
*Hose clamped and wired the filter. The old oil was still fresh, so I left the old filter on.
*Wired all the coolant fittings I'd drilled earlier.
*Pulled the rear wheel and drilled/wired the rear caliper bolts. Rear calipers and pads look good, I'm going to leave them alone as I really will only be using the rear if I screw up and wind up grass-tracking.
*Pulling the rear axle was a royal PITA. Lots of hammering involved. Investigated and the spacer between the cush drive bearing and the main bearing has a small tab/burr thingy on the inside that's binding it up.
*Pulled the stock muffler and test fitted the Supertrapp.

So, coming up in the next week or so:
*Getting that damn burr out of the wheel spacer. I got some 1/2" wire plumbing brushes I'm going to chuck into my drill and see if I can make that work. If not, I may have to hit eBay.
*I got a set of Spears Intiminators in the mail today. So if the deburring goes well, I'll do the fork seal and take a look at the bushings.
*Once the forks are done, I need to pull, clean, and put new pads on the front brake. It got gooped with fork oil pretty good. Going to start with the EBC HH pads I picked up and go from there. I know EBC has a grabbier model, along with Vesrahs, but it'll do for now.
*Find a muffler shop, have 'em fab me a mid-pipe and hopefully decat/reweld my stock headers.
*If I do the headers, I'll drill/wire the header nuts and shoot the headers with BBQ paint.
*Clean up the Supertrapp, repack it and spray it with some BBQ paint.
*Need to order up some springs. I'll try calling Sonic tomorrow when I'm ready for a break.

Really, after that, I'm more or less in "safe" shape. Not competitive yet, but good enough for the track day coming up on the 23rd at PIR and *maybe* do a race or two if everything's shiny. Mainly I want to have the bike at the point where I can show it to the tech guys, ask if I'm missing anything and ask a couple questions about modding/detabbing within Supersport rules.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.