View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2016, 04:53 PM   #28
Burphel
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Bonneville, Ninja 300

Day 6: Sept 11th

*Redneck honed the inside of that hub spacer enough to get the rear axle on/off with only the usual amount of profanity and muscle strain.
*Pulled the front brake, tossed the stock pads and cleaned/lubed the caliper. New pads are actually Galfer sintered. I coulda swore I got EBC ones. I haven't seen any comments on how well these work, but there's definitely plenty of meat to 'em. Left the caliper hanging on the fairing stay so it doesn't get re-gooped before I do the fork job.
*Spent a bunch of time cleaning up the Supertrapp. Popped out the core and old packing and stripped most of the paint off the outer can.
*Replaced the stock air filter with a Uni. Forgot I ordered this along with the Intiminators (I figured it wouldn't add anything to shipping).

I won't be doing the forks until Tuesday. I had it in my head I needed 10w fork oil with the 'timmies, but the instructions from Spears call for 5w. I'll give it a shot, and if it needs a little extra, I can always tip in a tablespoon of 15w from my stash.

In other news, I totally overthunk the problem with the Bonnie. The main positive lead snapped. It's a damn miracle she ran at all, and adequately explains the suddenness of the problem after riding fine for a few hours earlier. Let me tell ya, even with all the stuff I've hacked off her, that's not a bike you wanna push anywhere. Gonna hit the auto parts store tomorrow and see if I can find a suitably beefy terminal connector. Battery's on my deck getting a nice trickle charge.