View Single Post
Old July 23rd, 2009, 02:13 PM   #1
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

Name: Vinh

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

inconsistent throttle/rpm after shimming and snorkel removal

i was reading up on some threads about high rpms at idle and cant find one that matches my current situation, at least the way i am seeing it

(shimmed with 2 washers and de-snorkeled).. turned it on with choke off, it idled at 1300-1500, let it sit for about a minute, rode it around the parking lot for 5 min, seemed everything was fine, but as soon as i put it back in my parking space and kickstand down, about 10sec later, it started revving all the way up to almost 3500-4000 rpms...

i turned the idle knob counter clockwise to get it down to about 1500 again, and had hoped that fixed it.. (still in the space), i gave it a little throttle, and then it went up to about 2500rpm and sat there...

i took it back out for another ride... came back, it went down to 1500 when i parked, i waited, and then it went back up to like 2500-3000 rpms... i moved the idle knob again to get it ~1500

i dont want to keep moving it down, else that damn knob will probably fall off lol

what should it idle at cold with choke?
without choke?
idle after a 5 min ride?
should i still be using teh choke? because i didnt even touch the choke when starting it up after the shimming/desnorkeling

if i use the choke, at full choke, it goes up to 6500rpms
i move the choke a little, and it doesnt really have any affect until it goes all the way to full

i think my main concern is... why is it going crazy when i am sitting still even after a warmup and adjusting the idle knob? i am more than happy with it starting up cold at 1500rpm and requiring less than a minute before i can ride it.. plus an improved rumble w/o the snorkel