View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2023, 02:51 PM   #150
punishum808
ninjette.org member

Name: Tracy

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki JPN Katana 750 , 1994 Suzuki Pro Stock Motorcycle , 2001 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Project coming along nicely!!

heh, heh... back then, primary consumer of Titanium in U.S. was military. Products were made with mil-spec certifications* needed, so costs was exorbitant. Meanwhile, in USSR, anyone can walk into hardware store and buy Titanium shovels and fasteners!!! It's one of most abundant ores on planet! Although most of it is used to make white paint pigment.

I was managing bicycle-shoppe back then and was quite excited about relaxation of Cold War and many military suppliers branched out to private-sector with their titanium products. Suddenly titanium bike frames because much more reasonably priced!

* While at university in Santa Barbara, I was involved with firm contracted to provide picnic benches to Vandenberg AFB. They were to be deployed on hillside to watch missile launches, so had to be tested and certified for:

- altitude
- weather-resistance: sun-exposure, fog/dew, rain
- longevity: materials, prep and coatings guaranteed for 20-yr lifespan

In end each bench was billed at $45K apiece! They were off-the-shelf items from local home-improvement centre. But due to all testing and certifications involved: atmospheric chambers had to be built, jigs, numerous instrumentation and datalogging equipment, it drove amoritised price per item through roof! And to cover costs of 20-yr warranty.
ALooooHA my friend, so glad you are still around. Yes on Ti- we called it Un-obtanium back in the day AND you had to re do the thread pitch to match so it meant going bigger.
punishum808 is offline   Reply With Quote