View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2023, 03:20 AM   #3
Shafer
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja ex250 blue and 07 Ninja black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Sounds pretty cool! I've been hoping that the phone nav apps would get better over time. For motorcycle route planning - especially when sharing for group rides, we've been using GPX tracks to be loaded onto Garmins or similar for over 20 years now. It works, but it's often clunky to develop the route, to make sure it is following exactly what you'd prefer, and to make sure it loads properly and identically on different people's GPS's that might have different aged maps. Then you have to deal with all of the issues one would expect when it comes down to dealing with any computing device applied to people with let's say, varying levels of IT aptitude.

Apps on a smart phone with orders of magnitude better processing power, always-on connection to the internet, and the ability to incrementally improve the app day by day due to user feedback (compared to GPS software releases that could be yearly if you're lucky), should eventually result in a better experience. It sounds like this app could be one of those things.

I don't want to mount a phone to any dash or handlebars of a motorcycle, at least not a phone I cared about - but I'm intrigued by that carplay/android auto device that has been posted up elsewhere on the board. That begs the question, can any apps like this integrate with carplay/android auto?
Scenic makes it easy to load gpx files. I imported all my routes from the Rever app I was using. You will want to import with the way points so you can still have turn by turn navigation. If you do a straight line import you get a nice line to follow without navigation. (Ask me how I know, lol) It also allows you to download offline maps.

I'm pretty sure you can share routes also. I haven't tried that yet.

The power planner for routes makes it really easy to build the exact route you want to follow. And you can set the (I was looking at something and blew past my turn) detour settings options to fine tune to your personal preference.

I think it also has the ability to build routes on your computer using Furkot and Route You. I haven't tried it yet but will soon.

I worry about my iPhone camera on my bike experiencing the vibration of death.

I started with a Ram mount but have moved over to a Quadlock with the anti vibration dampener. Truly amazing design for protection. I'm a very picky person when it comes to phone cases and I really didn't want a proprietary Quadlock case. But I come to love the Quadlock case. The mounting indent on the back is perfect place for your fingers for holding your phone plus the case is extremely high quality and rugged.

According to Scenic's website they support Carplay. I have carplay in my Golf R I can confirm later today for you.

https://scenic.app/help/apple-carplay-support/

I'm loving the app so far, it's kind of a hidden gem. I had never heard of Scenic until I found it on a random internet forum post. I've tried just about every motorcycle navigation app and this is by far the best.

I'm pretty sure it's free to use with 20 credits to use the advanced features. I bought a one year subscription right away so I can't comment on the free version plus credits experience. I do plan on purchasing the life time option for 80ish.
Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.