View Single Post
Old May 25th, 2023, 08:10 AM   #6
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I'm still loving this. The thing about it is that once it's set up, you don't really notice it, which is the sign of good technology. I turn the key on, I turn my helmet BT on, and the Maxca links to my phone and helmet. Waze pops up on the screen and Spotify starts playing. It Just Works™.

I previously had my phone mounted at the inside end of the left bar, basically right over the top of the fork. With the Maxca mounted over the triple instead, my helmet's chin bar actually blocks it from my view in my normal riding position. It's almost perfectly lined up where the top of the screen matches the top of the chin bar, so I just have to tilt my head down a bit to see it, yet it's completely out of my view normally. As someone who can be a bit ADHD about things, the fact that I can't see it (and that it works well enough that I don't need to be constantly looking at it) is great for minimizing distractions. The CarPlay UI itself tends to hide non-driving things from the display, so that alone is better than having your regular phone screen up in front of you while riding.

A buddy from California with a Triumph was quite interested in this when I got it. I'm not sure if he has a CarPlay vehicle, but his wife has a Tesla and he's an IT guy too, so he's familiar with geeky tech stuff. He's out here visiting this week, so I showed it to him and another buddy (former biker). They were both very impressed with it. The other buddy actually said, "That's better than what my car [Fiat 124 Spider] has!"

Just to repeat, I think the overall CarPlay experience is the real winner. But the C5 Pro is what enables it. It works well, so you don't even notice that it's there, other than when you glance down to check your map on that handy screen. Assuming it lasts long enough that I don't consider it disposable junk, I would definitely order another one immediately if something happened to it.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote