View Single Post
Old December 4th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #17
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Cars in the USA must be really badly built.

My family does not have a garage, cars have been kept outside in the rain, rarely washed in the winter and rust is almost never an issue. My brothers car has some rust as he got a scratch in the paint and left it untreated. Otherwise it would be fine. My car is 5 years old and has never been inside a garage, not a spot of rust.

Of course it helps that we have smaller engines over here and garages are rare, so cars have to be built to last. Its not unusual for a car to come with a 3 year warranty with a 10 year no rust warranty also thrown in. The fact we have small engines means the cars have to be lighter. Mine has an aluminum(does not rust as such) hood/bonnet, plastic front wings, aluminum or plastic for most other things, glass roof (weighs about as much as steel but it won't rust, it will just collect bird poop)

To sell a car that rusts within 20 years of it being sold would be unthinkable to most manufacturers. When a car is 5 years old it has to be tested and it will fail if it has any rust, or a bulb gone, or leaks oil or the stars on the euro flag are not visible on the flag on the reg plate, or the yellow bulbs are not yellow enough, or the headlights are not perfectly alligned, etc, etc, etc.

My car is due a test soon