View Single Post
Old August 7th, 2016, 01:05 PM   #26
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Got some more work done today making the headlight. This post is my progress in kind of a DIY for naked headlight setup HID retrofit. I'll try and explain exactly what I did, in case anyone else likes it and wants a starting point. I got the single Mini D2S projector setup from TRS with a Panamera shroud.

Bought this headlight off ebay for like $30.

Comes apart with two screws on the bottom

We won't need any of the wiring or bulb setup that came with it. There's three screws on the back of the reflector housing but they don't actually let you separate the back from the glass, it just pulls the whole thing out from the black housing. So we'll need to cut the back off of it to fit the projector in there.

Next I made some circles with my hole saws in some Lexan. I wanted 1/4" plexi but it only came in a huge sheet that I didn't need so I got the thinner lexan and made two to stack. These are like 5" and then I think about 2.5 or 3" for the inner hole to make sure the projector fits through it. I drilled some holes at first for screws to mount it but they didn't work out lol. I'd recommend just waiting until they're mounted in there.

We're going to set them back in the housing as a mounting plate for the projector.

I used this new liquid nails "fuze it" to hold them in there. It seems really strong and was nice and easy to lay in there and adhere them.

Front and back of the rings

This headlight comes with a bracket we're not going to use, and it doesn't actually come with any hardware for mounting it, what do you expect for $30 right? Anyway, a trip to home depot later for some 5/16 bolts in 2" and 2.5" plus some random stuff I thought might work to mount it in my head. Turns out these bigger T shaped mounts work well. Just have to drill out the top holes to 5/16 and then mark for the bottom holes and drill them out. Get a bag of the washers and nuts too.

I needed 4 washers on each side of the 2" bolts and this mounted pretty good.

Mocking it up

With the shroud and projector in there mounted up.

Still need to add one more supporting brace for the headlight into the second mounting holes but it's coming along.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote