View Single Post
Old April 30th, 2019, 09:16 PM   #1
Hewes
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

Low idle then dies - mixture too rich?

I'm at a loss for what to do next on this bike. 2007 ninja 250, about 5000 miles

For backstory: the starter was making some terrible grinding, turns out it was missing the rollers in the starter clutch and the starter clutch gear was missing a tooth, which I replaced. At the same time taking off the carbs to clean and to address fuel overflowing. Got it all back together, fresh fluids, and the starter was working great but the carb was leaking gas again, pouring it into the cylinders so much it was dripping out the exhaust out the back and through the overflow tube. Took it back off, cleaned a little more and checked the float valves. Okay, reinstalled, and replaced spark plugs for good measure. At first it idled normally for a couple minutes, then nothing. After that I could only seem to get it to idle at about 800rpm with the throttle fully open, very low and rough idle. If I turn the fuel petcock to off it does its low and rough idle until just before it runs out of gas then it would rev right up. Alternatively I could get it to idle like that with no throttle and the choke almost fully on.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be the issue here? Air filter is new, plugs new, drained the gas tank and added some seafoam too. I'm just at a loss with it at this point. Just want to ride.
Hewes is offline   Reply With Quote