View Single Post
Old February 27th, 2012, 02:31 AM   #119
badiguana
ninjette.org newbie

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 Ninja, 2008 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinm911 View Post
Can someone explain the advantages and disadvantageous between bias ply and radial ? I kind of know the differences, but I just want to solidify my knowledge.
The difference is in how the sidewalk works. A bias ply has almost no flex. You just roll onto the sidewalk. A radial will allow some sidewalk compliance with the result that the tread rubber can conform better to the road surface, effectively putting more rubber on the road with less tread squirm.

That being said, I tried a set of Michelin pilots using a 150 rear and it was a bad choice. The 150 sidewalk rolled up so far that the sidewalk shape was too vertical and it just did not work. I went back to bias ply but bought the newest Michelin (can't remember the name). These tires work as well as a sport touring radial and I would buy them again.

Looking at the Pirelli mounted on the bike, it looks like a good fit. It seems to be a "skinny" 140 that just might work on that little 3.5 inch rim, so I'm anxious to see what the guys who have mounted them have to say.

Just a word on the OEM tire: get rid of them. The same day you finish the break-in miles on the bike, if you can afford to. Those things are bad.
badiguana is offline   Reply With Quote