View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2018, 06:25 AM   #24
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Look at it this way: I regularly abuse a $5000+ carbon mountain bike (I only mention this part because it's roughly equivalent to a new ninjette). I bought it knowing full well that it was going to be crashed. It has a couple scratches and nicks in the paint already. That doesn't mean I'm reckless and loose with money, it just means that I've accepted the reality of using and enjoying a product that I purchased.

Your Ninja 300 (400?) is your first bike and learning was always in its job description, as it will be for many many other riders. The first scratch hurts the worst, but everything after that is easy peasy. I dropped mine in the driveway twice, my dad dumped it in a trailer when we were unloading after a track day, and I even crashed it at speed on the track (on my spare body panels). It is what it is. That's a very likely reality of owning a motorcycle.

I guess what I'm saying is that every motorcycle touches the ground at some point during its life, even if it's just kissing the garage floor when the owner is able to baby it down and negate any damage. If you're really afraid of scratching the plastics to the point where you're significantly hindered in your willingness to ride the thing... scrape together $500, buy a beater dirt bike, and make this learning thing happen. Do you drive a manual transmission car normally or is learning to use a clutch also part of the issue?

Real talk:
Were you this afraid of driving when you were 16 and had your temporary permit and were learning to drive a car? Are you this afraid of driving on a daily basis? Likely not. So why is the motorcycle any different? Only way to learn is to go and do. Respectfully, that's my
/real talk

EDIT: I just read your most recent update post. Good for you!!!!!! Making progress and answering some of the questions I asked. Sorry about that!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.