Thread: first ride :)
View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2018, 02:51 PM   #89
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
well, after 3 weeks of not getting to practice on my lovely Takara, I hopped on my baby this morning with the hopes of going off of my street. Didn't happen

First off, I could tell it had been a while since my last practice. I stalled her three times from the get go. I think I was a little nervous....Then to make me more jumpy, I had a dumbass in a suv come flying up behind me and blare the horn as they went around. I took a few deep breaths and managed to get her going up my street. I got her into second gear smoothly and made it to the top of my hill. I'm pretty sure I didn't stop her far enough up, maybe a foot or two too early. I couldn't get off of my hill. I'm standing there on her, sweating from nerves and trying to figure out how I was going to get out of the situation. I had my foot on the back break and tried using the friction zone and throttle to get her to move forward but I just couldn't get her going enough without then rolling back and I was getting frustrated. I don't know how I didn't drop her but I managed to get off and turn her around walking next to her.

So, instead I kept her to my street again. On the upside, I found out my new jacket has great airflow I carefully got her going and went down the hill into second gear and then tried downshifting into first, I got it. A tad choppy but I got it. I did that a couple times going up and down the street and then put her away.

A mixed bag today, but again, I think that's because I went 3 weeks without getting on her.

Any tips on getting off a hill from a stop are appreciated lol...
This tells me you are not in a good location to learn to ride. That's not the type of thing you want to happen when learning.

Not trying to be a kill-joy here, but there are too many things going on here that may lead to dangerous situations.

As I said before, I feel you should hold off until you have completed your Basic Rider course.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.