View Single Post
Old June 10th, 2015, 11:19 AM   #58
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
You are probably right about this but some people my self in particular put a lot of time and effort into trying to track down a rear spring that would be better for my weight for the gsxr shock. It was difficult and a waste of money. It is hard to find much info let alone accurate info on rear springs. I figured I could find a used shock from some bike that had the rate I wanted and the correct size but it never worked out. Most of the springs were never the right size despite doing research and looking like the numbers added up and I ended up just wasting money trying different shock springs. I should have just bought a new racetech spring from the get go and saved myself the time and money.

But we all know shocks are more than just springs, there are valves, if you are going to go through the trouble of getting the correct spring, that still doesn't mean it is going to work any better on that actual shock as the valving can be way off. Might be a step in the right direction but with a new spring you are still only addressing some of the potential problems and I don't think the gsxr shocks can be rebuilt/revalved very easily or cheaply for that matter.

In short, sticking with the stock spring on the gsxr shock isn't all that bad or big of a deal. If you are going to drop $70 or so to make the conversion work then another $110 for a new spring you are $180 into it, that is a good chunk towards an aftermarket shock built specifically for you and the ninja that keeps the stock geometry. If I could go back and do it again I would probably have went aftermarket
Absolutely. http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...swap-myth.html

The 500 guys are lucky in that the PreGen spring (or SV650 shock) is good for a ~180lb rider and the NewGen/300 shock/spring is good for bigger guys. We have a few drop-in options that cover a pretty good range of common adult sizes. They're all cheap, non-adjustable shocks, but the horrible stock spring rate means that getting the right rate is a huge upgrade, even if you can't tweak the shock.

But if you can buy a slightly different $25 GSXR shock that will fit the Ninja the same, or buy a second $25 GSXR shock and swap the springs, you might get much better results than just accepting the default one mentioned in the DIY. I'm not sure about the origins of the GSXR shock swap - the fact that it matches the stock spring rate might be carefully researched or pure coincidence. And there seems to be some question about the applicability of the stock rate too.

I found a deal on a used Penske and jumped on it. However, I've been happy enough with the NewGen shock that I haven't bothered to install it yet (the Penske really is overkill for me). The Penske also uses standard(ish?) 6"x2" springs, so it's fairly easy to find replacements pretty cheap (though maybe not in the exact rate you want).

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote