View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #8
kbryant
Area P

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
IIRC you said an O2 sensor bung can be welded in place, can you supply one? Or suggest where to get one? I've got a TIG welder and just finished TIG class so should be able to weld it on myself.
Here is my reply to a similar request. "

For the Bungs you have noted, the issue with using automotive type units is primarily the material and design. Our system is made from 304 series stainless steel. Most Auto bungs are from 400 or 303 series (they may say they are 304, but it is highly unlikely....). 400 does not weld very well and will rust. 303 is easier and cheaper to machine, but also is dubious when welding. Also they do not machine in any kind of orientation shoulder, so there is not additional support or location set. One of them you have noted is steel. I don't recommend you use a steel version.

Our Bungs are cnc machined from 304 series stainless steel only, which is costly and a pain. But they are done correctly and TIG weld perfectly. We also machine in a "Shoulder" so when we drill/mill the hole in the tubing, the Bung stays properly located for a smooth transition through the tube, as well as having additional support on the material. We pre-heat the component when welding (since it is so much thicker than the tubing) to assure minimal distortion with no stress cracking when cooling."

We charge $25 when purchased/installed with the system. Simply let us know where you would like it located.
kbryant is offline   Reply With Quote