View Single Post
Old September 24th, 2019, 04:53 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I believe that some states really do, or did, have a no-passing-on-right law, and they apply it as your described. I remember some state that made it illegal to pass on the right, even on 2-lane each way roads, but also made it illegal to be in the left lane if you're moving slower than traffic in the right lane. That would mean theoretically you would never need to pass on the right. That may have been DC, and I don't know if it's still the case.

I did a search for "North Carolina passing on right" and got this:

G.S. 20-150.1Page 1§ 20-150.1. When passing on the right is permitted.The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

(1)When the vehicle overtaken is in a lane designated for left turns;

(2)Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width which have been marked for two or more lanes of moving vehicles in each direction and are not occupied by parked vehicles;

(3)Upon a one-way street, or upon a highway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement when such street or highway is free from obstructions and is of sufficient width and is marked for two or more lanes of moving vehicles which are not occupied by parked vehicles;

(4)When driving in a lane designating a right turn on a red traffic signal light.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote