View Single Post
Old April 12th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Coolant leaking into oil and oil leaking out of somewhere.

Hey guys, long time no see. Haven't posted in a while because of University and life and I hate that my first post when coming back is me begging for help, but I've got a big problem with my oil and coolant.

About four days ago I noticed my bike was starting to get very close to overheating, the needle would get high but then it'd drop down quickly when I started to drive. I figured it might be something to do with the coolant, so I checked out my reservoir when I got home and it was completely empty. After the bike had cooled down I opened the cap for the radiator and it was almost empty. I refilled both the reservoir and radiator, made sure there was no air and my bike seemed to work again, it wasn't overheating.

Now, I hadn't smelled any burning coolant, so I figured it may have leaked into the oil somehow as I remember that being an issue when I first got my bike. Sure enough, the oil was somewhat milky, but looked normal. I decided to continue riding the bike to see if any of the new coolant would leak into it.

Coming out of class today I noticed a large foot long pool of oil on the ground. I noticed some coolant in it but I couldn't find any specific point where it was leaking. I drove the bike home and a lot of white smoke was coming up from the left and the front of my bike but I still couldn't see a source of leakage.

When I got home I took everything apart and drained the oil. Sure enough, it looked like chocolate milk and almost all the coolant in the radiator was gone and the reservoir was empty. I also noticed water/ some liquid coming out of the bottom breather hose and white gunk in the breather box. There was also some oil under the starter and around it.

I'm a bit confused though as that's on the right side of the engine while the oil dripping on to my exhaust pipes is on the left and where the big pool was earlier today. Are these signs my head gasket is gone or could this be some other issue?

TL;DR version: Coolant leaking into oil, oil leaking out on left side, oil all over my tire, do I need a new head gasket?

Here are some pictures:

Oil in my lower fairings when I removed them:

Oil around my starter (there was more but I dried it up before the picture):

Headers with the area where oil was dropping onto them.

My tire once I was home (found a nail in it too :/)

"milky" oil after I drained my bike:
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote