Old May 21st, 2013, 01:33 PM   #15
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Congratulations, Noor !!!
Thank you! It's a big step forward for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxtc1 View Post
Mate, that is a wicked paint job. Good luck with the repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FvnnyL3tt3r1ng View Post
My thread!

Yeah my head gasket looked exactly the same when I took it apart. I put a new one in and voila bike ran perfect again. You can always lap your valves and clean the carbon off your pistons (strongly recommend WD40 for that!!). But you'll need to have a tool to put the valve collets back on the stems after you're done. Cleaning the pistons is plenty easy just make sure you orient the rings and pistons themselves properly after you're done.
I decided it was a bit too much to take them out at this point and clean the entire thing. I couldn't get anything substantial from wiping the top off anyways so I'll leave them as is for now.

Questions for those who know: do I need to use sealent for the head gasket? From what I can gather online it looks like I shouldn't be using any at all.

Also should I turn over the engine at any point in putting the camshafts back in? I thought about just returning them back to the position they came out, but I'm not exactly sure if that's going to that easy.

The guide I've used to disassemble the engine has been this one: http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic.php?t=74552 which has a guide on Timing valves. I'm just afraid of screwing anything up.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote