View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2015, 12:39 AM   #7
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
I think your over thinking it and need to stop worrying what others think.
I don't care what most people think of me or the bike. I'm just considering things that people don't usually realize about themselves until they really think on it. I like learning new things about myself. Like, you know when you get a new phone or something, and you learn how to use it, and you think you know everything, then you find a feature you didn't know was there before. It's like that feeling, but different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i don't like the danger aspect of it.
I do, but only one tiny iota. The danger doesn't add to the fun as much as it adds to the "I'm doing something I'm not supposed to," part of it. The danger is only something I like when it's not really present. I'm not a fan of taking a turn too wide on a twisty mountain road and almost smearing myself like a bug against a guard rail. I feel awful when I get too close to screwing up. I get sick and really beat myself up over stuff like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
In my experience, most people feel confused about other people who practice motorcycling in any form.
As they don't know much about it, they tend to go by whatever they have heard from other sources, probably as confused and misinformed as they are.

I was also a little confused myself many years ago when I learned that my neighbor doctor rode a Harley that he repaired himself.

For those reasons, you will receive a lot of different opinions from people that will cross your path.
It is normal to have concerns when those people have some power over you.
Nevertheless, you may have the power to change those opinions with enough time, if you are the clean, proficient, courteous and safe type of rider.
First impressions are important, but they are not written on stone.

If I ever felt guilty was because the consequences that a bad accident could have had in my family.
To easy that bad feeling I have done two important things:
1) Take each member of my family with me for as many rides as possible in all weather conditions.
2) Work hard and permanently to be as safe as I could be.
For sure. My boss doesn't have a problem with it anymore. I told them, and we talked about it, and they understand that I practice it about as safe as I can most of the time.

As far as passengers, I'm not a fan of having them. I'm still new, and I'll never stop making mistakes. I've taken a friend for a ride on clear days on <35mph roads with minimal traffic and I can honestly say it's the most scared I've ever been on a bike, and I've had some pretty scary close calls before (see above for a decent example of this). I'm also not a fan of how the 250 responds with a passenger. This could be fixed with more experience and a bigger bike, but I won't accept any more passengers anytime soon.

Although, I am cool with letting reasonably-coordinated people ride it. And yeah, I've had people drop it before, but it's already ugly, anyway :P
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote