Thread: '92 rebuild
View Single Post
Old October 4th, 2021, 08:29 PM   #73
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
This kit should do, I built my 1st two chromoly race frames and a tandem with it before getting full-size torche (cheaper oxygen).

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...zing-torch-kit

Oxygen canister lasts 20-30 min, so should be all you need. You'll want tiny flame to work with. Start with yellow MAPP flame at about 100-120mm long. Then gradually turn on oxygen to shorten inner white core of flame to about 5mm. Oxygen knob is non-linear, turn it lots until you feel some slight resistance, then gradually do 1/32rd turns at a time.

I recommend doing same method as you did with soldering and focus on one spot at a time. Aim tip of white flame at metal and wave around 5mm area. Wipe flux-coating from rod on area. When metal gets deep cherry red glow, add tip of brass rod and move along seam with flame and brass. Molten brass will actually follow flame around, so you can "pull" it along with flame as you add more brass. I prefer smooth fillets rather than stack-of-dimes (that's just for show, adds extra weight).

Fill tank with water and rotate so bracket and air-pocket is at top. Use dark sunglasses for eye-protection.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; October 6th, 2021 at 12:48 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote