View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2020, 06:48 PM   #1
toquesofhazard
ninjette.org newbie

Name: blah

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

2k8 ‘eating’ diodes; wont start!

Hi all,

If someone could give me some insights into what is happening with my bike I would appreciate it. Started awhile back where the bike wouldn’t start without a few tries, I would hear a high pitched whine of the starter relay, but after a few tries it would start...no problem right? Went on a long trip and stopped for a break, bike would not start at all! Towed back home and started troubleshooting. Long story short, it ended up being the diode was blown on the starter circuit, replaced, all good, starts, runs and bike was happy for a season. Then the same diode started to blow once a month, then once a week. I took it to a shop, tech told me the battery was shot, replaced that, he also replaced the diode again. Broke down again, took it back to the shop, guy spliced a larger diode in series (I know eh?) I was pissed but it ran, so I moved on. About a month after that it quit again! Beefy spliced diode is ok, original diode is ok. Talked to a buddy and said it might be the relay or starter solenoid, replaced both. No joy! I can turn the starter by bridging the starter solenoid, so it isn’t the starter, relay, solenoid, or fuses (those are occasionally blowing as well. There is likely I short somewhere but I have no clue. Anyone have any ideas? I’m about to give up! Cheers T
toquesofhazard is offline   Reply With Quote