View Single Post
Old May 15th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #1
EL_Morono
ninjette.org member

Name: AAA

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Squeal sound

Hi everyone,

I picked up my new Ninja about three weeks ago. I am a novice motorcyclist.

A little history on the bike. It's got 150 miles on it now. (History ). I have dropped it already which is very painful to admit. I want to mention this because it might be what's causing the problem. The way it went down is that I was in the lot after doing some riding, and noticed I had come to a stop in third gear. So I started rocking it back and forth to get it into first and I just lost it. The damage is mostly cosmetic (hard to spot at from ten steps away). I picked it up as soon as it went down.

Anyway, for the first time since I have been riding, I decided to go on a HIGH SPEED ROAD. (40 mph speed limit ) This was the first time I was a sustained 40mph speed, and I suddenly hear a squealing sound from the bike. Now this is what I tried while the sound was happening:

1) Pull the clutch in and rev the engine.
2) Use front and rear brakes.
3) Use horn, high beam.
4) Use clutch and change gear.

The only thing that made a difference was the speed. As I slowed down, the sound down. When I went back down 15 mph the sound went away and did not come back when I hit 40 mph (not immediately that is). When this happened, I made a U-turn and started going towardes home. Again, after riding at 40mph for like 5 minutes, I start hearing this sound again. It is quite unnerving.

Now, as for the sound, this is the best I can do in terms of showing you what it sounded like. My helmet muffled it up, and I didn't want to raise my visor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29c_4SKK6Yw

Can damage from a nospeed drop cause this to happen? I should mention that this bike is parked outside, and it's been raining frequently. I have been riding for 8 or so miles every day since I bought the bike, save for a few days. Anyway, any hints are welcome.

EDIT: I just went outside to look at the bike again. I started up the bike and noticed that the gauge cluster didn't have any lighting. The oil light and the neutral light etc all worked, but the backlighting in the gauge cluster was off. Is it an electrical problem?
EL_Morono is offline   Reply With Quote