View Single Post
Old November 10th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #1
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

MSF course tomorrow. tips? advice?

Hi there,
I should have posted this a while back but now that I'm less than 24 hours away from day 1 of a 3 day MSF course, I'm feeling a bit nervous and thought some last minute foraging for info might curb the butterflies in my gut.
I have been riding my 50cc scooter (1984 Honda spree) as a daily commuter for over 6 months now and have accumulated about 2800 scooter miles, so I think I have some of the basics of controlling a two-wheeled vehicle down (like counter steering, balance, throttle control, braking etc). My scooter, like most scooters, is an automatic and so I have zero experience with shifting on motorcycles, so that's one thing I am totally ignorant about and a bit worried over. I have been practicing a bit of shifting (neutral to first and back) on my Ninja (yes, I bought my ninja before learning how to ride, crazy I know ), but I'm still a virgin with manual transmissions and any tips and advice on proper clutch usage and shifting would be great.
For those who have gone through the MSF course, anything you guys might have on the class, the teachers, what to pay attention to, what NOT to do or wear or say, any helpful anecdotes or experiences.....anything at all, would be fabulous.
I've already decided not to go to class wearing my gear (yeah, I ride my scooter wearing a two piece leather suit, have two textile armored jackets, two full faced helmets...call me silly but it's still ATGATT on my 50cc!) and nor will I ride my scooty to class....I'm gonna keep a low profile and play the role of a total noob to assess my competition. I hear it can get a bit competitive out there, so my scooter experience is going to be the ace under my sleeve. (at least, I hope so)
I've said enough already...I'll appreciate any comment.
Thanks.
Oh!...and here's a pic of me and my first bi-wheeled love.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 221020111270.jpg (117.0 KB, 21 views)
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote