View Single Post
Old July 15th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #1
Crriiissss
ninjette.org member

Name: Cristian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja Thunder Blue(sold), 2004 Suzuki GS500f(sold), 2006 Ninja 250, 2013 Ninja 300 SE

Slow throttle response and slow return to idle help

My friend bought a 2006 Ninja 250 with about 2500 miles in it for $700. The previous owner mentioned it needed a new battery and she doesn't know why it's not starting (so my friend bought it since we could probably fix it up). Initially, it wouldn't turn on after the previous owner had it sitting all winter. We put in a new battery, added some gas and with that, it turned on only with full choke but would die a couple of seconds later. So we went in and cleaned the carbs (sort of). We opened up the carbs, but only cleaned out the pilot and needle jet since we were in a rush to just clean the same parts my friend cleaned on his hyosung 250's carbs to get it running. We put it back all together, with new gas and oil. It starts normally now with no choke but when we twist the throttle, the response is delayed and slow return to idle (about 6 seconds from 5k-6k rpm). We also removed the idle mixture caps and adjusted the idle mixture but it didn't make the return to idle any faster, if anything it made the throttle response even slower.

We know the idle mixture should be about 2 1/2 turns out but how do we go about adjusting both of them? ( turn one side a bit and turn the other side the same amount and than twist the throttle to see how its affected? or turn one side and twist throttle to see how it is before turning the other idle mixture?) We found the site telling us how to adjust the idle mixture but they weren't that specific.

Should we go and clean the carbs again but completely this time? like this http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Cleaning_the_carbs_2.

Are there any other possible reasons why it's doing this? maybe spark plugs or anything?

It also looks like the owner left it outside all winter in NJ since there's a good amount of rust on the exhaust pipes under the bike and some on several other areas.

Thanks in advance!
Crriiissss is offline   Reply With Quote