Thread: Overpants?
View Single Post
Old March 15th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #8
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanDog View Post
I'm a bit confused by overpants. Okay, you wear them over jeans. But really, is a layer of cordura nylon going to give much additional abrasion resistance? It's strange in that they seem to be marketed as 'serious' protective gear (ie, they can be expensive and have lots of technical features) but in fact seem to offer minimal protection... thoughts?

I was given some overpants and just did a ride with them. They have knee pads and I wore them with hard-padded shorts. They weren't exceptionally well-ventilated, in fact the mesh panels on my leather pants would have kept me cooler I think... think I'll stick with my leather pants. The only plus might be that the overpants are less conspicuous when going into a restaurant, etc.
Okay my turn, and 2¢,

Yes they offer awesome protection for the cost. You must remember that most major brand textile riding gear is made of several kinds of Cordura depending on the areas of the garment.

Ultra Light Weight Nylon Ripstop Fabrics (30, 70, 100 denier)
Nylon/Cotton Blends for Workwear and Denim
Textured Nylon Bottom Weights (160, 330 denier)
Light Weight Nylon Packcloths (210, 420 denier)
Textured Nylon or Polyester Packcloths (300, 500, 1000 denier)
Heavy Weight Nylon Ballistic Fabrics (630, 840, 1050 denier)

Also here is some reading material as well, http://www.cordura.com/en/about/index.html

The addition of CE armour, ease and convenience of cleaning and care, makes textile garments a solid choice for the everyday rider.

I myself have textile garments, FIELDSHEER exclusively, from mesh, to touring gear.
For more hardcore riding I do have a FIELDSHEER one piece leathers, because although textile might be awesome, Nothing beats a one piece leathers.

I also own a very old FIELDSHEER perforated leather jacket, that has been with me for many, many years, gotta love an old, and broke in leather jacket.

For those plans that make wearing even overpants a slim option, I turn to my BOHN bodyguard system underneath regular clothing, which is very convenient when going out. Nobody knows your wearing, except you.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote