View Single Post
Old December 26th, 2018, 06:13 AM   #26
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
good to bad real quick

unfortunately my research on 1st gen/2nd gen was downright butt awful. i didn't realize this bikes have a slew of issues. mine on the way home from work blew the main 20 amp fuse. found the spare and installed, bike went into runaway starter mode. had to quickly pull the + batt cable. got it towed home.
thankfully klr has awesome guys and awesome forums. they figgered out a work around or repair of everything.(kawasaki should have recalled alot of it)
anyways i stripped the klr down and started the hunt. bypassed neutral safety,clutch safety. still had no power to run/start switch. i backtracked on run/start switch and saw a wisp smoke. alas! smoke? what the hell? i grabbed the harness and found this. it was still crackling as i still had the power on. i quickly pulled battery cables and started to dissect the harness.

the rabbit hole got deeper as i waded into the harness. found out 08/09 klrs had recall on harness due to improper routing and sharp edges of frame.(enuff to cut wire easily)
wire's affected: about 14

looks like the main culprit was a non insulated connector that had 1 hot going in and hooked to 5 hots goin out. i replace it with terminal block. i used high temp tape, then wrapped with electrical tape and conduit over the top.

all systems have power now and starter turns over. still need to look and harness routing carefully.
i plan on making it a super moto bike or a replica.i want to from this:

to this:

mods to do:
* doohicky mod
*fix oil burner problem(too much directed to wrist pin, a work around has been done to divert oil to upper head assembly)
*manual petcock(non vacuum)
*thermobob mod( these bikes run way to cold causing out of round heads. this mod fixes this and raises water temp to 195f
*pull carb, shim needle, drill slide hole using 7/64" bit. drill out pilot screw cover and open pilots up.( more gas)
* remove all air injection crap
*install new uni filter and remove snork
*install tony d front fender( i love em)
*find compatable wheels so i can go tubeless.
*install hyperlite blinkers.
i removed the crash bars, they were to big. shrouds will stay off for naked look. might go with a preston petty headlight number plate in the future.
more to come

Last futzed with by maverick9611; December 29th, 2018 at 09:24 PM.
maverick9611 is offline   Reply With Quote