View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2014, 06:33 PM   #137
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ZX-12R, 2009 ninja 345cc and plenty of others in the past...

thank you Rassie for all details and pics and c-n for your important input... well I am already "manufacturing" my own exhaust system.... 10cm of 250's yoshi R-77 headers, then another 40cm (give or take) 2nd and 3rd cylinder stock ZX-12R exhaust headers , then again yoshi 2-1 merging (the stock ZX-12 pieces fit right into it... well it took lots of cutting and fitting and measuring again and again but I am building it the way I want it on low budget for my 345cc project (need the money for more important engine stuff)... tomorrow some welding to match and bond pieces and then again to fit the rest... changed the routing and chose for the 300's stock path to gain some length... thinking about taking out the left side of the bike...will see how it goes...

pics later on when it'll look more like an exhaust, still in pieces...
chose the stock ZX-12 cos I believe have right size (32,5mm ID) for what I am building and it was for free !! sitting in my garage for 12 yrs, was about time it came to use...

got to think about ID of the rest of the pipe till muffler...yoshi is 42mm IDfrom merge till 30 cm before muffler, then opens up gradually to about 50, then narrows down again a bit into the muffler...
think I'll keep a bit of that last part and make the rest out of 45cm ID pipe... hope I'll manage to avoid making the s-turn round the back of the oilpan to place the muffler on the right after all...

another thing to say btw since c-n mention the stock 300 fitting problem
a friend of mine recently managed to fit a stock 300 system on his '09 efi 250 kinda same way I am...
kept about 12-15cm of the stock 250 headers, then cut the first 7cm off the stock 300 fit and welded it back together, passes under the engine just fine, no clearance issues... however 2 things that can be major drowbacks...
1. because of that "tailoring", the holding points of the exhaust are off by about 2cm... had to cut and weld that too, and he had to use a spacer for bolting on the muffler to the rear footpeg...looks funny at the moment, going to match it up properly soon...first impression is that it works much better throughout the rev ranga but no dynoing for him... I don't know what he is going to do with mapping though (don't forget efi european versions), I think it will be necessary to adjust the AFR... it is a very cheap solution (cost him about 90$ including cutting and welding but huge improvement to original stock
2. most important... problem removing oil filter... routing of 300's pipes don't leave enough room for taking out cover and changing the filter so it will be necessary to remove right side fairing unbolt the muffler bolt and the chassis bolt so that the pipes can "hang" abit and give enough clearance for the job to get done... the way I saw it this is not for sone who is not experienced with DIY sevice and/or not having a serious tool kit...

one last thing to ask @Rassie and @cuong-nutz if I may... please measure the outside diameters of the primary pipes and that of the secondary, after the merging, just before it starts turning behind the pan, of the stock 300 just for comparison, since my friend is now on his way for the summer vacation and will be back in September... Rassie do the same on the 300 Yoshi if you have the time and courtesy... thank you both in advance!