View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2018, 02:11 AM   #6
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjjdbd View Post
I have a 2007 250 that I did an engine swap with from a donor bike. The original engine had a blown head gasket, but I was able to find 2 donor bikes for $400. Everything went fine with the engine swap, but after everything was put back together and I went to take it on a test ride, I noticed that the clutch wouldn’t disengage (cut power to the rear wheel). I decided to check out the clutch plates and they did look pretty scratched up so I switched them with another set thinking that would solve the problem. Nope! I’ve attached a picture of how the rough plates that I removed look.

Any ideas? I’ve tried adjusting the clutch on the engine side and at the handlebar and I can get it set to a good friction zone, but just no disengaging.
Those marks on the pressure plates look abnormal. Rust?

Notes from the service manual;

- "Be sure that the outer cable end at the clutch lever is fully seated in the adjuster at the clutch lever, or it could slip into place later, creating enough cable play to prevent clutch disengagement."

- Fit the spring plate back into place, aligning the mark on the plate with the mark on the clutch hub.

- Visually inspect the fingers of the clutch housing where the tangs of the friction plates hit them. If they are badly worn or if there are grooves cut where the tangs hit, replace the housing. Also, replace the friction plate if their tangs are damaged

Bill