View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2020, 11:15 AM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Sorry, I was thinking of '08-12 new-gen when writing above procedure.

Ahh, "guide pins" or "dowel pins". Is this new bike to you? Or did everything fit before taking apart? On one pre-gen I bought, fairing-stay was bent ever so slightly. Mirror bracket holes weren't centred in fairing and none of tank mounts lined up. As result, lower-fairing didn't fit either. So I bought another fairing stay off ebay, nope bent as well. And bought another one from local racer clearing out his garage. Nope also bent and nothing fit. I ended up bending forward two tabs holding guide-pins about 3mm. Chopped off both mirror-mounts. Then welded on right one from eBay stay and left one from racer-garage stay. Used upper-fairing as jig to make sure all pieces were aligned before tacking in place.

Hopefully yours isn't bent. Here's what you'll want to do for '88-07 pre-gen:

1. remove radiator covers and lower-fairing from bike. You cannot install upper-fairing with them in place. Unless you're origami master and can bend plastic in impossible ways, it's A LOT faster and MUCH, MUCH easier to install upper-fairing with radiator covers and lower fairing OFF bike completely.

2. lightly grease dowel-pins on fairing-stay with silicone grease.

3. looking from above, slide upper-fairing longitudinally onto guide pins (make sure grommet on both sides is centered on each one). Tilt nose of fairing downwards so they don't touch mirror mounts and continue shoving fairing backwards until grommets have slid all way to base of pins. You can see with flashlight from above how far they've gone. They often go on partway and stick, fooling you into thinking they're OK, but nothing else will line up.

4. once fully slid onto pins, let go of fairing. It will tip down at back and line up with tank holes.

5. wiggle rear of upper fairing up & down slightly and lightly install tank bolts. SHORT bolt does in upper-front tank bracket. Should have only 5mm of threads. Otherwise longer bolt will puncture into tank and you'll have constant leak.

6. wiggle front up & down to centre mirror holes over bracket. Install mirrors

7. install radiator covers

8. install lower fairing.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; May 31st, 2020 at 11:02 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote