View Single Post
Old December 12th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #17
null0
ninjette.org member

Name: Allan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 F17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingmtranch View Post
Though it is technically legal here (police wanted it for them only but the supreme court said "if you can, every bike can"), if I get in an accident while splitting, it is my fault. The law states that splitting can only be done safely.
It is not technically legal. There is no section of the CVC that says you can laneshare. It's the inverse, there isn't anything in the CVC that says you can't laneshare. It's like looking for a law that says it's legal to start your car. There is no law for that. It's legal to start your car because there's no law against it.
Quote:
If I get in an accident, I apparently was not doing it safely so, my fault and I pay all costs.
Wrong, there are numerous circumstances where it's not your fault. Like if a car changes lanes without signaling...they just violated your right of way which is illegal for them to do.
Quote:
No more than 10 mph over the speed of traffic. Only between the number 1 and 2 lanes (though I see bikes use any lane they prefer which is illegal).
Neither of those is the law in California. The 10mph is only a guideline. So is the part about only between lanes 1 and 2. You can get a ticket for doing +1 mph if the cop deems that it is unsafe. Some cops will write tickets for any lanesharing because they don't like it and use that reason. That's the lame part about California, it's not illegal but there are so many discretionary parts of the CVC that if the cop wants to give you ticket he will find a way.