View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #2
nikreinert
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Nik

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Electrical Issues (IMO battery related)

[x-post from pregen thread, my bad]

Hey guys, long time lurker, figured I'd turn to the Ninjette town for help.

So 2 or 3 days ago I was riding my ninja around town, at a stoplight the teach went all wonky, flipping from fully maxed to 7-8k, basically in a random pattern. The bike idled alright, but when i gave it gas it sputtered horribly. I killed to engine, and all the lights went off. Turn the key back to on, all lights off, no power anywhere. ~10 min later I flipped the key back to on, and like magic power was back, fired right up and drove home. Wrote it off as a fluke.

Today: Riding on the highway, about 30 min into the ride. Tach goes wonky again, bike sputters terribly. I pulled in the clutch and pulled over. Same as before, killed engine, all lights dead, no power. So this time I borke out the tool kit and looked at the battery (first guess, idk how logical but I'm helpless on electrics). The phillips screw holding the left terminal in was about halfway undone, the connector was still attached and all that, but the screw was way loose. After tightening the screw down the bike started right up, bright lights, rode fine for the ~30 min ride home.

The question for Ninjette town: Could this loose connection really be the source of these problems? If the battery is connected in series I could see how it would mess everything up, but from the looks of the electrical schematic it seems like its in parallel with another loop.

Thanks for the help!
nikreinert is offline   Reply With Quote