View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #39
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewexd View Post
We have a 52" samsung LCD, I only use it for sports (nba) and PS3 (nba2k10). I love watching basketball in HD so much better. I would check out www.slickdeals.net they post all the good deals. I don't know why but my brother picked this one after obsessing over 120hz which turns out doesn't do much i think.
It's a multiple of 24, 30, and 60, so frames can be quintoupled, quadrupled, or doubled evenly to match your display's output rather than odd pulldown conversions. For example, a 24FPS theatrical movie on DVD or TV has every even frame doubled and every odd frame tripled so that 24FPS can be converted to 60FPS. This is 3-2 pulldown conversion and it makes something traveling at a constant speed across the screen appear to "pulse" across, seemingly getting faster and slower ("judder"). All theatrical movies are filmed at 24FPS while most TV is filmed at 30 or 60FPS (always transmitted at 60hz though).

Video games are another matter... their frame rates are often unstable or not in sync causing tearing and other artifacts (half of the frame sent to the TV came from the previous frame rendered in the game and the other half came as the game was rendering a new frame), so the game engine/console often holds the frame rate back, slowing down the game, to make it a factor of 60 (15, 20, 30, or 60FPS).

To put it simply, 120hz TVs are not meant for 120hz content. They are meant to properly support everything below 120hz. Eurasian/Austrailian "PAL" content, OTOH, was once 50hz but luckily they also have PAL60 and their HDTV is 60hz like the rest of the world. Most PAl50 content was 24FPS slightly sped up and frame-doubled to acheive 50hz. A a typical feature-length (two hour plus) theatrical movie might finish a minute or two early ON A PAL DVD player.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote