View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2018, 08:51 AM   #31
redonninrf
ninjette.org member

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, 2017 Triumph Thruxton 1200 Classic (not the 'R')

Anything which is not a truck or SUV will likely not have a factory recommended tow capacity. But an aftermarket hitch and receiver for the vehicle will usually have a rated capacity. My Honda Civic has an aftermarket hitch and IIRC the max tongue weight is 200 lbs.

My first year racing Spec Miata I hauled my race tires, canopy, tools and gear to the track with my race car using a 4'x4' Harbor Freight trailer and a bolt-on hitch/receiver. Hauled the gear to the track Saturday morning. Unbolted and removed the hitch. Went racing. Sunday afternoon reattached the hitch and hauled the gear home. This sort of thing was not uncommon in amateur club car racing a few decades ago. Had one fellow racer comment he knew I wasn't going to be a reckless driver on the track since I was dependent on the race car staying driveable to get back home.

When trailering the thing to keep in mind is the effect on stopping distances. But a 400 lb bike on a 3000 lb car is not going to be bad. Weight-wise not too much different than having 2 large friends in the back seat.
redonninrf is offline   Reply With Quote