View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2021, 06:19 PM   #11
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

the thing about getting bondo or JB Weld to work good is that you have to get down to bare metal in order for it not to crack or flake off.... sand paper will do the trick if you don't want to scratch up the whole tank or sand blasting with an area masked off works good as well, but it MUST be clean and recently sanded you can't sand it and wait a week and then apply the epoxy of what ever brand you chose.... I like JB Weld as I have used the puddy as well as the old stand by of normal stuff with the 2 tubes... which is much thinner and hard to cover a hole good with that stuff.... but it does hold better !
.... I sand off the area to be applied to with coarse sandpaper.... 80 grit this scratches the metal good so the JB weld has something to grip onto !
then I hit it with a squirt of Quickstart to make sure there are no fingerprints on the area... then apply the JB weld liberally later after it dries you can sand and paint if you so desire.
My Brother in law and I had a gas leak problem on a old 1959 Triumph 200 cub, the bike was fairly thrashed when he got it, but we got it into real good shape after a few months... the tank had a crack where the bolt that held the tank down was at and it would flex and brake any stuff we put on it. including JB weld. the final application of JB weld found us putting added padding around the frame in the Hump of the tank and it never broke and leaked again in all the years we ran it.... that was a good bike !
If you ever have a cracked leaking gas tank you can use a bar of soap to rub into the crack and get it to stop leaking for a little while ...not long but perhaps long enough for you to get home !

Bob