View Single Post
Old May 15th, 2022, 01:53 PM   #10
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by racered View Post
Now that makes sense, Thank you again for sharing helpful info!
Clips are going back on and then safety wired.
Paul
You're most welcome!

A lot of clips are installed improperly. There are actually 4 different orientations of ML clip, not just 2. Most people know about facing open-end backwards. But don't known about facing beveled side inwards. Seems countre-intuitive since facing beveled side outwards seems to give better "fit". But the bevel makes it easier for clip to wedge itself off pin.

Like with washers, clips are made by stamping. Which creates one flat/flush side and one rounded/beveled side. Here's INCORRECT way to install clip, with flat side inwards and rounded beveled side facing outwards. You can tell beveled side is outwards from reflection on inner circle showing rounded edge. This rounded edge makes it easier for clip to slide sideways out of pin groove.

Here's CORRECT way to orient clip, with rounded beveled side facing inwards. The sharper edge of flat side bites into groove, doesn't provide a ramp and prevents clip from moving outwards.

I've used master-links with clips on most my bikes in last 40-yrs. Originally on 2-stroke dirt bikes to turbocharged Hayabusas without any problems. Only one time did I have ML clip fall off on my Ninja 250 race-bike. And that was caused by... installing clip with smooth beveled side facing outwards.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; May 15th, 2022 at 02:59 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.