View Single Post
Old December 9th, 2022, 05:41 PM   #9
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Well, here's the valve clearance as it stands right now without changing anything...just checking them.... intake is within tolerance I think on both cylinders .004 on the left and it's partner is at .007 ( that's No#1.) No#2 is .006 for both intakes on the right side.
the exhaust however is also at .006 for the exhaust for both on the right side
but the left side they are at .004 and.005 for the exhaust on No#1
so the exhaust on both cylinders is tight and needs to be adjusted as far as I can tell.
i used the feeler gauges as a go-no go gauge to arrive at the stated clearances
I went up in thickness till the feeler gauge would not go through anymore and I also went down in thickness just to check myself and came up with the same both times
so I am confident on the thicknesses I have written down in the shop....
....I also pulled the spark plugs to make sure the piston was up and the timing mark was right on it and the cam lobes were pointed outward from one another. so I am confident on the TDC reading...
so I guess the next thing is to pull the cams out so I can get to the shims
I think I will do all the valves sense the intake is on the tight end of the tolerance
and I think I will shoot for the widest end of the specks for both intake and exhaust
... if I have to buy more shims so be it... but this will assure me that I will not burn up a valve in the future..... I don't ride it hard so I am not worried about slightly less performance due to the extra slack in the valve train (if there is such a thing)
but intake from .004~.006 isn't bad
but the exhaust at .004 ~.006 is too tight for my blood especially when it calls for .008~.010 .....
but I was happy to find no valve was being held open so that is something ! so I'm thinking the valves are fine
I can see carbon on the pistons through the spark plug holes though and both spark plugs are brown maybe too brown.... which is a bit concerning maybe I should change main jets so a smaller size.... it is a water cooled machine and not air cooled so it doesn't need to be running so rich.... tan would be great but brown is a bit rich I think.
sure is cold out there in the shop ... I need a better heater in there ! LOL
Bob........