Thread: Honda CB500
View Single Post
Old April 14th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #291
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
i sat on a cbr500 yesterday. Looks like a great bike. Not sure what they were asking for it though. It was sitting next to a 300 and i must say i like the looks of the 300 better. But with the 500 you are getting a solid bike but unfortunately it is a middle ground bike for me. By that i mean it does not have enough appeal for MY LIKING to justify it over a 250 or a 300 for a significant price increase. Not different enough...for me, i would want something more different, sure there are power gains but in the bike world 20 hp on a 400lb bike isn't all that much IMO say what you want.

LIke the one poster was saying he rides 250 2stroke dirtbikes which can be >40hp on a 210lb machine with a crazy hit. the cbr500 would still feel tame in comparison if he is looking for that rush and that is kind of how i feel. But unfortunately i know that i can not trust myself on a 600ss which is what i would really like but i am mature enough to know the difference between wants and needs and that i would not be able to keep it under 130mph on any given day and potentially dead and or in jail is not something i can risk at the moment. So the 250 stays in the stable, there is no reason for me to get another bike, logically, or financially. If something happens to my 250, i will probably look into a 300, love the SE colors. That or if a faired duke 390 makes its way over, but will have to ride one first. Curious how the thumper will feel at highway speed and obviously price tag as well.

End notes, if you have the cash to spare and are looking for a few extra ponies the cbr500 looks like a solid bike and would be perfectly fine for a beginner IMO but, only as long as you plan on keeping it for a while, otherwise get something cheap, used, sell it after 4 months when you have become a pro and get an R6
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote