View Single Post
Old October 7th, 2017, 12:43 PM   #8
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
I'll be graduating from the University of Pittsburgh in a couple of months with a BS in psychology. I'm looking at jobs in the motorcycle industry at the moment but it's hard to search - those jobs don't tend to appear on the bigger search sites.

I worked for about two years as a repair tech for a local shop (not a dealership) that services pretty much all makes/models so I got a good working knowledge of all that stuff... rode lots of bikes, learned lots of things! I also was a service advisor for a short period of time. I'm not opposed to doing that again but I might want to try something new. I have a lead on becoming certified as an MSF instructor here in PA but that's not really a steady enough income for me. I'd be looking for close to $40,000... nobody can live on $10 an hour.

I've been googling all the companies I've come into contact with in my time as a motorcycle fanatic, and nothing has really stood out. I'd be willing to move back to DC for the right job. I've looked at all the major brands with US headquarters, AMA, several of the motorcycling magazines, retail/gear brands, dealerships (meh), distributors... any ideas? Has anyone here worked in the motorcycling industry and want to tell me about it?
If I were in your shoes I would stay away from motorcycle dealerships. They are sweat shops. I would campaign heavily focusing on major motorcycle manufacturers which might plop you smack dab in the middle of L.A. Good weather bad politics. I don't want to sound like a male chauvinist pig but a lady with a strong motorcycle interest and your experience might be of interest to an employer in a male dominated industry.

Bill