View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2023, 10:55 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I've had this happen to the mail system for my company, and it took a while but is mostly OK now. I had to use Gmail's SMTP server during the problem. I chose that one since it's free and open to anyone, apparently. The only oddity was that my mail from mydomain.net was delivered as mydomain.net@gmail.com None of my customers seemed to notice or care.
Right - I use a variety of different mailservers for different purposes. Most of them will work fine (and relatively cheaply/easily) with low volumes, including gmail. But with automated emails from a forum, the email volume very quickly can rise to a level where the email services want to charge a few hundred $ per month. Think about a long thread like the Word threads; every time there is a post it has to send out dozens or even hundreds of notification emails if posters in that thread have subscribe turned on (and all do here as default to start). Last I looked into it, most forum sites at scale run their own email service for that reason.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote