Thread: '92 rebuild
View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2021, 01:13 PM   #14
BonelessSugar
ninjette.org member

Name: Cashby

Motorcycle(s): EX250-F x 3, TW200, NPS50

Apparently I had the wrong valve clearance measurements. When I went under the left (T2) exhaust valve set with the shim while turning the crank, I noticed that there were spots that were bigger than where I shimmed (0.23mm instead of the 0.15mm I had set it to). The exhaust valve's largest clearance was more like right before the valve started to open instead of in the middle of open and close like I assumed. I should've taken my measurements from TDC on T1 (cylinder 1) and T2 (cylinder 2) with a full rotation of the cylinder (so T1 = "1" then "3" after 1 full rotation) due to 2 rotations per combustion cycle. I just reshimmed the valves. I used 70in-lb for the valve cover torque from here because I wanted a number. When adjusting valves, all I did was loosen the locknut with 9mm and 1/4 extension, then use a screwdriver to loosen or tighten the screw. No need to hold the locknut or anything. Then tighten back down by hand and check that the shim still stayed the same (they all did), then torque down and check shim again. Also, I had to unbolt the radiator fan to get my torque wrench in the right (cyl 1) exhaust ports. Used 2 flashlights.

When undoing and redoing the covers for the case, I had to get far into my coin with the vice grips because it started to bend when taking them off.

Haven't drained oil yet because I don't have any to refill it with if I want to try to start it soon. Assuming that it's been sitting for a long time, it'd want to be changed anyways. 15w-40, right? anything specific? same with filter, just don't use a K&N and try for Wix? I have about 1.3qt of 10w-40 from when I was working on a ninja 500, which is the oil I used for compression testing.

Red looked like some rust got in grease and dirt in there on top of a bolt head. It's really hard to take a picture of it and get enough lighting to see anything within the case, that's the best of 5 pictures I tried to take.

Bad news though, when turning the engine over by hand after applying penetrating fluid to the cylinders, the crank bolt loosened on me. I tightened it back until it started to spin the front sprocket and gave it a few more taps. Not quite sure how to fix that, and I don't want to run a compression test with a possibly loose crank bolt.

Last futzed with by BonelessSugar; September 5th, 2021 at 03:09 PM.
BonelessSugar is offline   Reply With Quote