View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2016, 11:14 AM   #31
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliusmichaelhonrada View Post
But im using 10w-40 oil , i thought when cold its weighted as 10 , and when at 100 celsius it becomes a 40 weighted oil? :)
Yes, a multi-grade oil acts like different weights at different temperatures. However, those weights are not set viscosity numbers, they're grades. It's not "10 viscosity units at 0° and 40 viscosity units at 100°", it's "viscosity units equal to 10 weight at 0° and viscosity units equal to 40 weight at 100°".

Here's an example. 10W-30 acts like 10 in the cold and 30 when it's hot. But the actual viscosity measurement of either one in the cold is much higher than the viscosity of either one at operating temperature.

The point of a multi-grade oil is to give you the benefits of a lower weight oil in the cold and a higher weight when it's hot. This means it flows better when it's cold (without getting too thin when it's hot) and protects better when it's hot (without being too thick to pump when it's cold).

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.