View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2015, 12:26 PM   #91
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
my understanding of the hook is that you are essentially, intentionally partially crossed up at first with your lower body in a good position but your upper body still left up toward the top of the tank as you enter the turn, but then when needed, your upper body can move down more to where your handle bar is, moving your weight down which seems to move the bike up... which not only starts you turning a bit tighter, but it means you have new clearance which means you can turn more (although trying to add lean angle mid corner is a recipe for disaster, but if you're already heading for disaster, maybe trying something different could help)

from how i've used it, it's especially helpful on decreasing radius turns where careful braking is required well into the turn... then you can drop the hook and start getting on the gas... it just works out well, i donno why exactly

i feel like it is easier to have my weight back further on the bike when im crossed up braking into a turn vs full lean into turn braking.... makes it easier to deal with the rear end coming up i think... or maybe it is just that i get a better sense of the rear end coming up when my head is upright like that?
Not sure I understand the very beginning of your statement where you say that to start the hook you are intentionally partially crossed up? The way I describe the hook turn is that you are in your hang off position, off to the side, locked in BUT you are not already trying to drag an elbow or hang WAY off the side of the bike. You have good body position for getting around the turn BUT if you find yourself running a bit wide or that the turn tightens up a bit you still have a little bit of reserve left so that you can drop your upper body DOWN and FORWARD.

This will help the bike tighten its line without adding any extra lean angle. Why would moving your upper body down and forward help the bike tighten its line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
watching marquez, when he seems to encounter the "oh **** its not gonna happen" situation, it seems like he just drags his entire side of his body on the ground and pushes the bike back up after lowsiding around the corner. intentional?
I'd say this is just his extreme version of the hook turn He tends to take his riding to the extreme in all cases
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.