View Single Post
Old December 20th, 2017, 02:12 PM   #23
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchyGrappler View Post
My main question and the one I’m posting to the ninjette board is, when do you know when to change session groups? Mainly to move up.

I still get lapped like I’m standing still by most of the grid.I’d get get a few passes in of my own. I’d get get a few passes in of my own.
One option I haven't seen proffered yet, that I would offer up, don't change session groups.

Instead, every time you go to a trackday, ask to link up with a coach/instructor/control rider/whatever-they-call-themselves (ideally someone on a similar bike) and play some lead and follow. If you ride with a good organization that has attentive coaches, when you are ready, I guarantee you they will tell you to move up. Plus, you'll know cool, knowledgeable people for when you return and/or if you run into an issue with your bike or riding.

Spend the time in your current group working on reference points, corner entry speed, and making clean passes. If your trackday organization allows outside passing in C group, I would say practice it and see if you're able to clear away from most of the big bikes in C over the course of a lap.

I don't know Chuckwalla, so I can't comment on that specific track for big versus small bikes and these are just my anecdotal thoughts. In C group, you should be able to find yourself gaining a ton on corner entry to mid-corner on pretty much everyone if you want to move to B/Intermediate. I'm not saying you have to be passing folks, but you should definitely be gaining ground to the point where you feel held up.

The biggest difference in moving to Intermediate for me was the amount of clear track that I had in front of me. The 600s and 1000s will all clear out on the straights, and I found myself running up the backsides of people a lot less frequently than in Novice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
So, for example there was one guy in our group that started himself in the B group (he may have been bragging)
. . .
Sometimes taking ego out of the equation is the best way of doing it, lol.
It's always interesting to see the difference between organizations that allow "self-registration" versus those that start everyone in C/Novice/Beginner until either a talk at registration or an evaluation ride.

Definitely, the best way is to take the ego out of the equation. One of the worst offenders in my mind was a guy on a CBR600RR that just couldn't handle being passed around the outside by an SV650 and a Ninja 300 mid-corner. What does he do? Roll on the throttle mid-corner and push out wide into us every single time...
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote